Nile blue A

Gunnar Kleemann kleemann at
Tue Oct 19 14:11:06 EST 1999

Dear C. elegans community,

     I was wondering if you could help me with my attempts to use Nile
blue A to fluorescently label male sperm as done in  Ward and Carrel
(1979). I allowed worms to develop on plates stained with the dye as
suggested, and then examined worms under green light on our phase
contrast scope. Sperm are supposed to fluoresce red, but I have been
unable to see this. do I need a fluorescent microscope setup to see this
effect. If so can you suggest an economical way to acquire or construct
such a setup.

Gunnar Kleemann
Kleemann at
University of Nebraska-Lincoln