How to embed worms in parrafin?

Brian kraemerb at
Tue Oct 30 13:17:44 EST 2001

I am interested in staining worms with some chemical stains normally used on
paraffin embedded 6 micron sections of formalin fixed mammalian tissue.  I
want to make paraffin sections containing worms so that I can process them
in a similar fashion.  I have tried typical worm whole mount techniques with
histochemistry in question and failed miserably.

I was wondering if there are any established methods for embedding and
sectioning a gob of worms in paraffin.  I recognize that it will be very
difficult to tell what is going on in any given worm using this approach,
but I think it will suit my purposes.  I just want to compare neurons in
wild type with those in different mutant strains.

Any suggestions or advice on how to accomplish this is appreciated.

Brian Kraemer

Brian Kraemer, PhD
Seattle VA Medical Center/University of Washington
Building 1, Room 711
1660 S. Columbian Way
Seattle, WA 98108
Phone: (206) 277-3275