laser system

David H. A. Fitch david.fitch at nyu.edu
Wed Mar 20 15:19:44 EST 2002

Hi Worm Colleagues,

a couple weeks ago, I solicited comments about the Photonics
Micropoint laser ablation system.  We've decided to get one.  Here
are the comments that came back to me from experienced users:

 From Catharine Ranking, UBC, Vancouver:
I have one and I recommend it- also I have had very good service from
them! I got a call yesterday from Bob Nowak saying they would be in
town to set up a system in another lab later this week and asking if
I needed anything or if he could check anything out for us- he's
going to come by to check our alignment...that is service!

 From Bob Goldstein, UNC, Chapel Hill:
We got one of these just over 2 years ago (on Josh Kaplan's advice) and it
works like a charm.  It's never gone out of alignment.

 From Marie-Anne Felix, Jussieu, Paris:
I have the Photonics system, which is
great to align. I would definitely recommend it. I have a problem with it
at the moment, but Bob Nowak, the head of Photonics has been very helpful
(it is not very easy across an ocean, though).

 From Anne Hart, MGH, Cambridge, MA:
I love my micropoint system. It is so much easier to always have the laser
aligned...the whole lab can use the microscope for normal microscopy and
the laser people never have to realign.

I would also like to point out that Mr. Nowak of Photonics has worked
out a way for us to preserve as much of our old laser system as
possible to keep costs down and yet give us a perfectly updated
fiber-optic delivery system.  With this system, it is possible to
view fluorescence and ablate simultaneously (good for targeting cells
expressing a gfp marker)!

Many thanks!
Dave Fitch
--
~ David H. A. Fitch            ~   \  /       /   /

     http://www.nyu.edu/projects/fitch/

---