FW: A less garbled version =

Ryder, Elizabeth F ryder at WPI.EDU
Wed Dec 3 19:02:36 EST 2003

ryder at wpi.edu

From: Ryder, Elizabeth F
Sent:Friday, November 07, 200312:10 AM
T=
o: celegans at net.bio.net
Subject: A less garbled version of WPI ad for de=
pt. chair

=A0

Dear Colleagues --

=A0

I am resubmitting an ema=
il that came out very garbled the first time I=20
sent it.=A0 I hope thi=
s works better.=A0 Sorry for inadvertantly sending=20
such a mixed up me=
ssage.

=A0

The Biology and Biotechnology Department at WPI is searc=
hing for a=20
department chair this year.=A0 Our ad came out in the Octo=
ber 24th issue=20
of Science. I have reproduced the text of the ad below=
.=A0 We have=A0two=20
worm labs here, my own and that of Sam Politz, and=
 the department would=20
particularly welcome a department chair who als=
o works with C.=20
elegans.=A0 Although the ad says that we will give sp=
ecial consideration=20
to people with research interests in functional g=
enomics, your=20
particular research interest is not nearly as important=
 as your overall=20
record of scholarly achievement and commitment to un=
dergraduate and=20
graduate education.=A0

=A0

I am a member of the=
 search committee, and I would be happy to try=20
to=A0answer any questi=
ons you may have.=A0 Please consider applying!

Liz Ryder

Worcester =
Polytechnic Institute

Biology and Biotechnology Dept.

100 Institute=
 Rd.

Worcester,MA=A001609

508-831-6011

ryder at wpi.edu

=A0

W=
orcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) invites applications for the=20
pos=
ition of Department Head, Biology and Biotechnology.=A0The BB=20
departm=
ent=92s 12 full-time faculty support strong academic programs in=20
cell=
 and molecular biology and genetics, molecular and computational=20
ecol=
ogy, organismal biology, and bioprocess technology.=A0The department=20
=
confers B.S. and M.S. degrees in Biology and Biotechnology and a Ph.D.=20=

in Biotechnology, and currently includes about 300 undergraduates and=20=

20 full time graduate students.=A0WPI is a nationally ranked, innovativ=
e=20
technical university of engineering, science, management, humanitie=
s,=20
arts, and social sciences, located in scenic central Massachusetts=
,=20
with an enrollment of 2,700 undergraduate and 1,100 full and part-t=
ime=20
graduate students.=A0=A0Well known for its project oriented curri=
culum, its=20
global perspectives program, and its emphasis on the inter=
action of=20
science and technology with society, the university fosters=
 a spirit of=20
constructive experimentation in education.=A0

=A0

=
WPI seeks a dynamic individual with demonstrated leadership ability who=20=

can promote continued curricular development, growth of funded research=
=20
programs, excellence in scholarship, and increased recognition of th=
e=20
importance of the life sciences to the university as a whole.=20
A=
pplicants must have a commitment to undergraduate and graduate=20
educat=
ion and a proven record of scholarly achievement in any area=20
compleme=
nting the department=92s strengths.=A0Special consideration will be=20
g=
iven to applicants in the fields of functional genomics (including=20
ge=
netic regulatory networks, comparative genomics, model organisms, or=20
=
bioinformatics) or molecular forensics (including population=20
database=
s). The department head will be expected to provide leadership=20
in dev=
eloping and fostering relationships with the academic community=20
and t=
he local biotechnology community.=A0The university is committed to=20
st=
rengthening the life sciences, and is nearing the completion of a=20
maj=
or capital campaign that will significantly benefit the department.=20
I=
nformation about the department is available through=20
http://www.wpi.e=
du/Academics/Depts/Bio/.=A0The initial appointment will=20
be for five y=
ears, and is expected to be at the full professor level.

=A0

Intere=
sted individuals should send a curriculum vita and list of=20