Native protein extraction

R. John Lye rjl6nXX at
Mon Apr 19 01:16:40 EST 2004

Aurelio, Oscar wrote:

> Can anyone point our group to a protocol to extract NATIVE protein
> (i.e. no Tri-Reagent/Trizol phenol-solubilized protein) extraction
> from C. elegans? We obviously wish to avoid using proteinase K to lyse
> the worms. My colleague wishes to perform kinetic assays on an enzyme
> from worms. Thanks very much in advance for any help.

I used a French press to homogenize the worms for enzyme assays.  I
used a Pipes
based lysis buffer with lots of proteinase inhibitors - the worms are
little bags of
proteinases!  More details in an ancient paper :

Lye, R.J., M.E. Porter, J.M. Scholey and J.R. McIntosh:  Identification
Characterization of a Cytoplasmic Microtubule Translocator in the
C. elegans. Cell 51:309-318, (1987).

Hope that helps,