high speed video microscopy of elegans

jon.butt at ed.ac.uk jon.butt at ed.ac.uk
Wed Feb 23 12:32:05 EST 2005

I am producing high speed video of elegans movements that may be of use
some of you.  We are presently recording the small head swings from side
to side that the worm makes as it advances.  These recordings are being
made at 250 frames per second and we have intentions to increase this to
1000 frames per second.  We will have this equipment set up for another
few weeks if there is any interest out there in acquiring this type of
data for your purposes, and we are open to collaborations of any kind.
All data is digital and therefore we can easily share it.

The benefit of such a high frame rate is a resolution of the
spatiotemporal kinetics of movements at a sub-second time scale.  These
movements are presumably controled by sub-second changes in neural
of, for example, the 41-neurone network thought to be responsible for
swing (Sakata and Shingai, 2004).  In the adult, a typical swing occurs
over 500ms.  Sub-second resolution of the kinematics is therefore
for movements such as these.

Thank you for your interest.  If there is anything you would like to
please do not hesitate to contact me.  I welcome any comments.

Best wishes,

jon.butt at ed.ac.uk
Perception in Action Labs
University of Edinburgh