'crusty' food

Ryder, Elizabeth F ryder at WPI.EDU
Mon Jan 10 03:11:11 EST 2005

Hi --

We are having trouble with our OP50 lawns being 'crusty' -- that is,
form a hard surface that the worms have a hard time moving around on.
worms often get under the crust, which is a pain, and it 'chips' off
paint chips, which makes worms difficult to manipulate.  We have been
and spotting plates for years with no problem, and have gone back to
strains of OP50 with no big improvement seen.  We have grown the
bacteria in
LB and Hershey broth with similar results.  We did move to new lab space
recently, but the problem started a couple months later.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem?  If you found a solution to
it, we
would be eternally grateful if you would share it with us.  We are
to suspect witchcraft... Thanks!

Liz Ryder