[Celegans] Cold Spring Harbor Worm Course

Labouesse Michel lmichel at titus.u-strasbg.fr
Thu Mar 2 03:38:24 EST 2006

Dear worm breeders,

We are writing to enlist your support in
spreading the word about the C. elegans course at
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory that we are
teaching this summer  (July 27-August 14)
(http://meetings.cshl.edu/courses/c-worms06.shtml).

As in previous years the course will focus on the
biology and genetics of C. elegans. There will
be, however, some changes. First, we will, for
the first time, devote part of the final week to
biochemical experiments involving protein
purification from animals expressing a TAP-tagged
protein. This section will be supervised by two
new instructors, Arshad Desai and Karen Oegema,
who are experts in protein purification. Second,
we would like to broaden recruitment to the
course.  In past years  preference has been given
to students going to labs with little or no
experience in C. elegans genetics. We feel that
the field has changed and that we should open the
course to everyone; the inclusion of biochemistry
in the curriculum makes this even more
appropriate. Thus, while we will still make room
for newcomers to the field, we would also like to
encourage applicants who will be going to
established worm labs to enlist in the course. A
nice balance should make the course even more
enjoyable.

Invited speakers for this summer are Joe Culotti,
Tim Schedl, Ralf Sommer, Mei Zhen, Shai Shaham,
Hitoshi Sawa, Lesilee Rose, Raffi Aroian, Abby
Dernburg, Kaveh Ashrafi, Franck Slack.
Deadline for registration is March 15

Best regards

Mario de Bono