Metastasis vs Implantation

Eleanor UGG00506 at VM.UOGUELPH.CA
Thu Aug 19 11:08:55 EST 1993

Hi all!  I haven't seen any discussion going on here and since I have
a question, thought I'd ask it.  So, when a mouse (or other organism)
has a known primary tumor and also several secondary tumors, is there
any way to determine whether the cells which developed into the
secondary tumors had metastasized (gone through the vasculature) as
opposed to simply breaking off and migrating to the secondary site
(such as through the abdominal cavity).  And to throw an even bigger
wrench into the situation, is there any way to determine whether a
"secondary" tumor originated from the primary tumor or from a "previous"
secondary tumor?

Thanks for any and all responses!

Eleanor Gallo-Hendrikx
Dept of Molecular Biology & Genetics