Testing for mycoplasma contamination

Martin Kennedy mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz
Wed Sep 15 19:05:42 EST 1993

Hi,

I have a question about mycoplasma testing of mammalian cell cultures. I grow
mouse ES cells, and it is critical to avoid mycoplasma contamination if these
cells are to be returned to developing mouse embryos.

Does anyone have information about PCR tests for a range of common mycoplasma?
I understand that amplification of rRNA species, or something similar, can be
diagnostic for these things.  Ideally, I would like sequences for a pair of
primers that are able to identify common mycoplasma contaminants in mammalian
cell cultures.

I know about Hoechst staining methods, culture methods, and the GenProbe TC
rapid detection system that uses nucleic acid hybridization with a tritiated
probe, and I see that Stratagene also now sell primers for Mycoplasma PCR
detection.

Any comments, information would be greatly appreciated, either by posting or
by e-mail and I'll summarize for the net.
--
Cheers,

Martin

		Phone (64-3)364-0880  Fax (64-3)364-750