Antibiotics / Cell Culture / Fungii infection

ebarak at NSF.GOV ebarak at NSF.GOV
Mon Apr 25 16:47:19 EST 1994

Dr. Schuppenhauer:

If you are using cell culture grade antibiotic solutions from GIBCO,
then it is not reasonable to think that the antibiotic solutions
contain fungal spores.  If you are using non-cell culture grade
materials, at the very least the solutions should be sterile filtered
before use.

Rather than "fight the fungi with antimycotica," which are notoriously
ineffective, I suggest you review your aseptic procedures.  The best
approach is to make sure the infection does not occur in the first
place.  In this regard, I would recommend AGAINST the use of any
antibiotics.  Antibiotics can actually mask or cover up true
procedural flaws.  If you have antibiotics in your medium and you
"test for bacterial infection" soon after making up the medium, you
will get a negative test result even if you have infections, because
of the presence of the antibiotic. One of your respondents noted that
the antibiotics can affect mammalian cell growth, and this is true.
Yet another reason to avoid them!

Note also:  once you have fungal infection in your system, it may be
difficult to eradicate it from the system itself.  Some fungal spores
are resistant to normal autoclaving procedures.  Thus, even if your
culture medium is "clean," your cultures could be re-infected from the
hardware.  This is especially problemmatic with reactors where you
cannot see inside (i.e., not made of glass), or where you have tubings
and connectors.  I would recommend a chemical sterilant such as ALCIDE
to thoroughly clean the reactor, and as I said earlier, a thorough
review of your procedures to determine at what points along the line
aseptic techniques may be compromised.