Nonwetting Culture Plastics?

Richard Burge R.Burge at bay.cc.kcl.ac.uk
Tue Apr 26 13:11:55 EST 1994

I am growing primary neuronal cell cultures and would like to be able to
segregate different populations of cells to discrete parts of a cover slip,
wait for them to attach and then let them grow. One way I have seen this done
is using a removable wall of non-wetting plastic, such that the medium
containing the cells is repelled from its surface, preventing cells from
slipping underneath. This is preferable to something which forms a tight seal
with the coverslip as this may damage the substrate.

I have heard of something called Aclar 33C plastic, manufactured by Allied
Chemical, being used successfully. I don't have an address/phone no. for them
however. I believe they have an outlet in the States - if anyone has any
information on this company, especially on British/European distributors, I
would appreciate it.

Failing that, does anyone else who manufacture water-repellant tissue culture
plastic?

Thanks in advance,

Richard Burge         | e-mail:
King's College London |  R.Burge at bay.cc.kcl.ac.uk