Inhibiting phagocytosis

Bill Kournikakis bkournik at dres.dnd.ca
Thu Aug 4 10:56:33 EST 1994

In article <31mtsmINN3mi at woozle.mel.dbe.CSIRO.AU> deanh at tigger.mel.dbe.csiro.au (Dean Hewish) writes:
>Subject: Inhibiting phagocytosis
>From: deanh at tigger.mel.dbe.csiro.au (Dean Hewish)
>Date: 3 Aug 1994 02:03:02 GMT

>My wife needs to distinguish active phagocytosis from passive
>absorbance in human peripheral blood macrophages. She wants to inhibit
>phagocytosis in her controls. Cytochalasin-b has been reported to be an
>inhibitor of phagocytosis but it doesn't work to 100% in her system (
>the cells still take up the particles). Does anyone know if there are
>any tricks to using cytochalasin-b and if there are any other agents
>that can be used to inhibit phagocytosis?

>Dean R. Hewish
>Cell biologist and Flow Cytometrist
>CSIRO Division of Biomolecular Engineering
>Parkville, Victoria, Australia

There is a microbicidal assay using a reagent called lysostaphin that can be
used to distinguish active phagocytosis from passive absorbance.  In brief, a
mixture of the phagocytes and Staphylococcus aureus are mixed together and
allowed to incubate.  Following the incubation period lysostaphin is added to
destroy the extracellular bacteria and then the remaining intracellular
bacteria can be counted with a viable assay.  For a full description check
Current Protocols in Immunology, Section 7.23.5.

Bill Kournikakis
Medical Countermeasures Section
Defence Research Establishment Suffield
Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

If research was easy we'd call it "Search"