Cell shape

Holger Naber holger at lotka.toe
Mon Aug 15 03:32:01 EST 1994

In article <32gg6k$4fh at hebron.connected.com>, libin at connected.com (Li Bin) writes:
|> Newsgroups: bionet.cellbiol
|> Subject: The shape of a cell
|>

|> Hello, netters
|>
|> I have a question about the shape of cells.  How does a cell get its shape ?
|> I guess the cell membrane composition and structure must have played a vital
|> role in determining the shape.  But how does work exactly ?  Other factors,
|> such as intrenal and external pressure, temporature, etc ?  I am especially
|> interested in red/white blood cells, T-cell.
|> Thanks in advance.
|>
|> Bin
|> --
|> =======================================================================
|> I speak only for myself !
|> Li Bin					libin at hebron.connected.com

A rather detailed discussion of this problem from a physical point of view may
be found in:

Seifert, U., Berndl, K. & Lipowsky, R. (1991): Shape transformation of vesicles:
Phase diagram for spontaneous-curvature and bilayer-coupling models.
Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 44, pp. 1182.

This article deals with the shape of vesicles, as the title says, and does not
refer to specific biological cells. But it may answer the question, why red blood
cells look as they look.

Regards,

       -- Holger Naber --

(e-mail: h.naber at kfa-juelich.de)