cGMP

Rafael Linden RLINDEN%BRLNCC.BITNET at VTBIT.CC.VT.EDU
Tue Aug 30 19:48:19 EST 1994

Hi, netters.
A student just told me about results published in a paper in
Journal of Neuroscience, where the authors report measuring
cGMP with a microdialysis technique in the brain. They measured
cGMP after infusion of NMDA, antagonists of NMDA channel, NO synthase
inhibitors, nitric oxide donors, etc, to show that stimulation of NMDA
receptor in the brain produced cGMP as a consequence of nitric oxide
signalling.
My question is: Does it not sound strange measuring cGMP outside living cells?
Shouldn't cGMP be found only inside the cells, except following cell disruption
or membrane damage? Is it only my proverbial ignorance on these issues?
I'll appreciate any comment, and I can even tolerate a little abuse
should the question be totally stupid.
Thanks