Cell Biology Test #3 @ NSU
an138141 at anon.penet.fi
Fri Dec 2 09:46:39 EST 1994
Cell Biology Test III
1. What is the function of the TCA cycle and list the products
of the TCA cycle.
The TCA cycle is a series of enzymatically catalyzed
reactions that produce
reduced coenzymes such-as NADH, FADH, GTP, & CO2.
2. Where are the enzymes located that catalyze the TCA cycle?
In the matrix of Mitochondrion.
3. What is the general function of a dehydrogenase and use an
A dehydrogenase is an enzyme that uses a coenzyme to
reduce or oxyidize
a substrate. Pyruvate Dehydrogenase reduces pyruvate
to Acetyle Co-A
4. Are the Oxidation/reduction reactions exothermic or
5. Is the synthesis of ATP from ADP exothermic or endothermic?
6. How many ATP are produced from a glycose which is completely
36 or 38
7. Compare the mechanism of ATP production in Photosynthesis to
the mechanism of ATP production in respiration. How are the two
the same and different?
They are simular in the waythey synthesis ATP and the
mechenism of the ETC. They differ in the source of
electrons - photosynthesis uses water and respiration
8. What is the product of the light reactions?
ATP, oxygen, and NADPH
9. What is the function of the assisory pigments?
They act to funnel light into the central molecule of
p680 and absorb light that p680 can not
10. How many quanta of light does it take to transport one
electron from PS2 to NADP?
11. How many quanta of light does it take to produce one
molecule of oxygen?
12. Where is the plant cells do the light reactions take place?
In the grana of the chloroplast.
13. Where in the plant cell, EXACTLY, do the dark reactions of
photosynthesis take place?
In the matrix of the chloroplast.
14. Do the dark reaction of photosynthesis take place during the
Yes, because the products that run the dark reactions
are made during the day.
15. Summerize the dark reactions of photosynthesis. Show how
the products of the light reactions are used.
16. Do plants meet all of their needs by means of
No. Roots, seeds, and darkness require the plant to
17. Briefly outline how triglycerides and proteins are oxyidized
to produce ATP.
18. Neuron question.
19. Describe the mechanism of import into the nucleus compared
to the mechanism of import into a mitochondria/chloroplast.
20. What types of proteins are synthesised on the RER?
Water soluble and membrane
21. How are proteins selected for synthesis on the RER?
22. Regulated exocytosis v.
23. Uptake of LDL particles.
24. Phagocytosis v pinocytosts
25. Describe how phagocytosis works (example).
I hope this is of some help.
To find out more about the anon service, send mail to help at anon.penet.fi.
Due to the double-blind, any mail replies to this message will be anonymized,
and an anonymous id will be allocated automatically. You have been warned.
Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to admin at anon.penet.fi.
More information about the Cellbiol