vaccinia host range

Lemay Guy lemayg at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Tue Dec 27 11:32:17 EST 1994

Does anybody know if vaccinia virus can infect mouse cells?  I am
thinking of mouse fibroblastic cell lines like L cells or SC1 cells.

The ATCC catalog mention that the recommended cell lines are from
human or simian origin but since this virus can be used as a
vector (I know that these vectors have been used in dog MDCK cells)
I suppose that it has a wider host range.  I am sure that somebody
has tried using mouse cells at one point.

I will appreciate if somebody has this information.

Thanks in advance

Guy Lemay
Dept de Microbiologie et Immunologie
Universite de Montreal