problems with CHO-cells

Dan S. Duch dnsduch at med.cornell.edu
Thu Jul 7 14:57:39 EST 1994

Is anybody familiar with the culturing of CHO-cells?

I am culturing two lines of CHO-cells expressing sodium channels for use in
patch-clamp experiments, and for a couple of weeks I have problems with a
strange phenomenon. Once I rupture the patch in the whole-cell patch-clamp
mode, the cells start swelling or forming blebs. This seems not to be due to
an osmotic gradient of pipette and extracellular solutions, since the cells
swell even if the pipette is filled with the extracellular solution.
Even more strangely, the swelling space seems to be between an outer and inner
membrane, filled with translucent liquid, not with the greyish cytoplasm.

If a similar phenomenon has happened to anybody before or someone has an
explanation for this, please send messages to
Benno Rehberg  at DNSDUCH at CUMC.CORNELL.EDU

Thanks for your help.