Phosphorothioate oligos

Mark Mattson mpm at seqanal.mi.uky.edu
Fri Jul 8 09:20:09 EST 1994

Karen Gravitt (krg at utmdacc.mda.uth.tmc.edu) wrote:
: I have another question regarding oligonucleotides.  I am having trouble
: getting my phosphorothiated 20mers (one set is complete and the other is only
: phosphorothioated on only two bases)  in solution---I have tried sterile water
: and have had no luck, is this normal or what else should I try?????

Dear Karen,

I have had no trouble dissolving phosphothiolated oligos in water.  Maybe
you have impurities that are interfering?  We run all our oligos through
Sep-Pak reverse-phase (C18, I think?) columns in acetonitrile or MeOH
(eluting with water).

Steven W. Barger, Ph.D.
Sanders-Brown Center on Aging