Chlorophyll Analysis

jboulton at TrentU.CA jboulton at TrentU.CA
Tue Jul 26 10:01:25 EST 1994

	Hi...

	I am looking for any suggestions on the best way to sample for
Chlorophyll a.  I am looking at the amount of chlorophyll in a sand crust
which was previously innoculated with different algae.
	I have run across some problems trying to determine which is the
best method (namely: solutuion) to use for breaking the cells which are
bound to the sand grains.  I have been using DMSO4 + 90% acetone (1:4) 50
ml blending in a waring blender for 4 min.s.  These are then filtered, and
then analyzed for chlorophyll a.
	The problem I am having (I think) is that during analysis, the
volatile acetone isevaporating from the blank (control) cuvette, and thus
changing the reference value of the test sample.

	Any suggestions...  I have read two articles saying that DMSO4 +
acetone is better and two that say that just acetone is accurate enough.
Both have valid arguments and so I am at a loss as to which may be better.

	Any suggestions or reference material would be of untold help...

	Thanx in advance.

		J. Wayne

             /~\
                                                  /
      JBOULTON at TRENTU.CA                        / |