GTPase activity and palmitoylation?

Lee F. FrankKolakowski lfk at receptor.mgh.harvard.edu
Sat Jul 30 13:58:01 EST 1994

On 28 Jul 1994 20:47:23 GMT,
krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de (Cornelius Krasel) said:
> does anybody have any idea if depalmitoylation of the alpha subunit would
> affect the GTPase activity of heterotrimeric G proteins? Maybe I am missing
> something? (Cannot recall if G proteins expressed in E. coli have reduced
> GTPase activity :-( )

According to the papers published by the Gilman group, Bourne's group,
and Spiegel's group, the following is the current view:

1) Most alpha subunits get myristoylated. recombinant alphas in
   E. coli have low activity. When coexpressed with myristoyl
   transferase, in vitro activity returns to normal.

2) The palymitoylation does not seem to affect the intrinsic GTPase
   activity in vitro, but has effects (perhaps subtle, perhaps major)
   in vivo. See Borune's paper in Cell in June 1994.

3) The myristoylation and palymitoylation occur at different times during
   the proteins expression and the latest data about palymitoylation is that
   that may be regulated or be regulating.

--
Frank Kolakowski

O Email: lfk at receptor.mgh.harvard.edu    |According to J. Watson:      O
O        kolakowski at helix.mgh.harvard.edu|Rule 1 in science is "avoid  O
O        lfk at eastman1.mit.edu            |dumb people" because it is   O
O US Mail:                               |only in the company of brightO
O Lee F. Kolakowski, Ph.D.               |people that forces out the   O
O Perlmutter Lab, Enders Bldg.           |best in you. S.Brenner 1994  O
O Children's Hospital               Phone AT&T:  617-730-7515 (LAB)    O
O 300 Longwood Avenue               Phone AT&T:  617-730-7825 (Office) O
O Boston, MA  02115                 FAX       :  617-735-0422          O