Deep supercooling

Nigel Gomm ngomm at cix.compulink.co.uk
Sat Jun 4 18:45:29 EST 1994

Can anyone offer any help. My physiology text books (Taiz & Zeiger) nor
my Alberts, Bray et al go into any detail.

What is it within a cell that are used as freezing nuclei (aka "ice
nucleation points")? My understanding is that bacteria on leaf surfaces
may act as freezing nuclei and so cause frost damage. Does this mean that
Chloroplasts and mitochondria can be freezing nuclei within a cell?
If so does a frost hardened cell purge itself of all MCs and chloroplasts?

Nigel Gomm
ngomm at cix.compulink.co.uk
100045.331 at compuserv.com