Help! Pancreatic islet isolation

Dean Hewish Deanh at
Mon Jun 6 18:54:31 EST 1994

We are attempting to study insulin release by pancreatic islets of
langerhans. The problem is that although we can isolate
reasonable-looking islets by collagenase from rat and mouse pancreas,
they either release insulin constitutively or will not respond to
We have tried a lot of different collagenase preparations with
variable, usually bad results, and have tried a lot of modifications to
the procedure following published methods.

Our questions are:
Has anyone else had similar problems?
Does anyone know how to get good glucose-responsive islets from rat or
mouse pancreas?