pCaATPase bovine: RBC preps stable?

Ken Mitton jlhess at vt.edu
Thu Jun 9 12:16:47 EST 1994

ARE RBC MEMBRANE PREPS FROM BOVINE BLOOD PROBLEMATIC?

ANY ADVICE FOR US?

We have been trying to use bovine RBC ghost preparations following
various methods, typically used on human blood. We have a good source of
fresh bovine blood and want to use these preps to study oxidation-based
damage to the CaATPase, (in vitro).

Activities seem variable and we know the preps require DTT and PMSF at
the RBC lysis step to prevent the formation of large insoluble clumps of
membrane material (lacking the appearance of a "nice" suspension of
isolated RBC ghosts.

Has anyone, via experiance or grape-vine, found that bovine preps are
much less stable to degradation (proteolytic?, peroxidation?) than preps
from human or rat blood?
 We have noted the lack of CaATPase literature on bovine preps; is this
due to stability difficulties as we have found?

Please email c/o: jlhess at vt.edu

Ken P Mitton