4yr teaching computer request

dkatz at earth.doane.edu dkatz at earth.doane.edu
Tue Jun 14 14:38:58 EST 1994

I am posting this request for assistance as part of a campaign to illustrate to
some very reluctant administrators that computers are necessary for a biology
department.  We currently have a couple of very old computers being used as
word processors in faculty offices, and dumb terminals in the other offices.
We have one computer for the entire department of approx. 100 undergrads,
four full time profs and one adjunct.
If possible, I am looking for the following information to be emailed to me:
4 year undergrad. schools only:
how many faculty, how many students, how many office computers (what type, if
possible), how many for student use computers, and what uses you have for
the computers as far as teaching.
Any additional information, such as specific programs for courses, budget,
VLD's and CDrom information would also be very much appreciated.
I would like to make a very strong case that we cannot turn out good students
unless we have access to modern tech.  We have got email (obviously), and
lots of good equipment.  But computers seem to be a very weak spot we need
to remedy.
Any pointers on published articles...other comments, would be greatly
appreciated.
This is also being posted to molbio.methods and tech. and to general.
Thank you.
If anyone wants a summary or other info, please request.
Sue Katz,   Assistant Professor of Biology,  Doane College, Crete, Nebraska
DKatz at Doane.edu