T-antigen binding sites in mammalian genome

Andrew K. Groves grovesa at starbase1.caltech.edu
Thu Jun 16 11:22:35 EST 1994

In article <2tr1gh$6u8 at ysics.physics.sunysb.edu>,
mhollowa at epo.som.sunysb.edu wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if any good work has been done to explain
> the function of SV-40 large T-antigen binding sites in the
> genome.  Are they just randomly distributed or does the SV40
> protein take advantage of a cellular protein's binding site?
> The organism doesn't maintain the site so that SV40 can
> transform the cells.  It should have some cellular function, no?

SV40 large T does not need to bind to DNA to immortalise cells. The U19
strain of the tsA58 temperature sensitive SV40 T antigen mutant cannot bind
DNA, but is more potent at immortalising (as, for example, measured by
colony assays) than the original tsA58 mutant.

I believe it has been shown that the SV40 T antigen can form complexes with
both p53 and with the RB gene product. It is probably these activities that
cause the large T antigen to immortalise cells.

--
Andy Groves
Division of Biology, 216-76