DMSO as a carrier solvent.

ebarak at NSF.GOV ebarak at NSF.GOV
Fri Jun 17 07:43:26 EST 1994

RE: carrier solvents for administering hydrophobic things to cultured
cells:

     > ethanol has been used, but of course it has its own (obvious)
problems ...

     > I used to use delipidated bovine serum albumin (BSA) as an
aqueous-dispersable carrier for administering radiolabeled fatty acids
to bacterial and mammalian cells in culture for incorporation.  I
don't know if BSA will work for small hydrophobic molecules, and if
you want to mess around with it I'm not sure whether to recommend
delipidated or not (I can think of armchair rationales for either one
...).

Subject: DMSO as a carrier solvent.
Author:  jjwhyte at sciborg.uwaterloo.ca (Jeff Whyte) at NOTE
Date:    6/16/94 1:21 PM

---------------------- Original Header Lines (From NOTE) -----------------------
Sender: news at watserv2.uwaterloo.ca
------------------------------- Message Contents -------------------------------
        Our lab is using dimethyl sulphoxide as a carrier solvent for
hydrophobic contaminants (PCBs, dioxins, furans and PAHs) in order to
administer these contaminants to a rainbow trout liver cell line.  I have
read that DMSO can result in a more differentiated phenotype as well as
affect the penetration of the contaminant at the site of action.  If
anyone knows of any other carrier solvent that may be more "neutral", I
would appreciate the feedback.

Jeff Whyte
Department of Biology
University of Waterloo