Isolation of monocytes

William H. Guilford guilford at salus.med.uvm.edu
Thu Jun 30 10:44:57 EST 1994

In article <92940628192029.0004500605PK1EM at mcimail.com> JOHNSON+c_MICHAEL%A1%Mallinckrodt at mcimail.com ("JOHNSON, MICHAEL") writes:

>Netters,
>I need to isolate monocytes from a large amount (@ 2 l) of porcine blood. I
>would like to know if anyone is doing work of this nature  and what method would
>be the most efficient. Also, what medium is required for culturing these cells?

RPMI 1640 with 5-10% calf serum is probably a good bet for culture medium (it
works well for pulmonary macrophages, anyway).  I've tried isolating monocytes
and PMNs from hamster blood with little success.  I hear it's hard to hit
_just the right_ protocol for isolating cells from blood, and then it gets
routine.  Good luck!

- Bill  (guilford at salus.med.uvm.edu)