glutaraldehyde fixation and biotin

Dr. Dennis Goode GOODE at ZOOL.UMD.EDU
Tue Nov 1 12:01:36 EST 1994

Glutaraldehyde doesn't block the binding of most gold-labeled probes,
but I don't know about the biotin-streptavidin system. I'd try it
1st at the light microscope level on a monolayer of whole cells. After
GAL fixation, reduce w NaBH4, and stain w fluorescein-labeled avidin
or use your gold-labeled avidin and then silver enhance to visualize.
One way to visualize gold-labeled molecules (with or wo silver
enhancement) at higher resolution is to freeze dry the gold-labeled
monolayer, coat w aluminum, and examine in a scanning EM with a
backscatter detector (See Goode & Maugel J. E. M. Techniques 5: 263-
273).