Removing dead cells from animal cell culture

Mitzi Nagarkatti mnagarka at vt.edu
Wed Nov 16 09:48:41 EST 1994

There are 3 ways that I have used in the past to remove dead cells from cell
culture.  These apply to lymphocytes and tumor cells.  The first method is
the one I use most often. You could try any one of the following procedures
for your cells and see if it works.
1. Underlayer the cell suspension with Ficoll-hypaque and centrifuge at
1400g for 15min at room temp.  The viable cells are at the interphase while
the dead cells settle at the bottom of tube in the form of button.
2. Wash 3x times with medium.
3. Use Percoll density gradients.

Good Luck.