Actin purification

William H. Guilford guilford at
Wed Oct 5 07:08:23 EST 1994

In article <Pine.3.89.9409271327.A13042-0100000 at druid>, carter at DRUID.HSC.COLORADO.EDU ("Royston E. Carter PhD") says:

>I need help on methiods for the purification of actin.
>There are a few points about which I am not clear:
>1) How fresh does the tissue have to be?

  You need to _obtain_ the tissue fresh (like at slaughter), but if you freeze
  it immediately you can still use it later.

>2) Can I make acetone powder from frozen tissue?

>3) Can I store purified actin as a lyophillized powder, or frozen at -70 C?

  Don't know.  It would be better to stick with a storage buffer with the
  actin at relatively high (say around 50mg/ml) concentration.  We've kept
  actin in this form for many months without noticable degradation.

Hope this helps!

- Bill

      /WWWW\      /\    /\                   William H. Guilford
     /WWWWWW\    /WW\  /WW\                  guilford at
    /     WWW\  /    \/    \                 University of Vermont, Burlington
  /            \       \     \         __o   --"I want to ride my bi-cy-cle..."