Neurodevelopmental effects of DNA synthesis inhibitors

Michelle Murrain mmurrain at hamp.hampshire.edu
Thu Oct 13 10:34:20 EST 1994

I'm looking for information (articles, references) on the developmental
effects on the brain (particularly fine anatomical effects) of DNA
synthesis inhibitors. I'm particularly interested in drugs which are not
gross inhibitors, but maybe have more non-specific DNA inhibition effects.

Also any electrophysiological data which might be around about this would
be helpful as well.

My interest in this stems from wanting to know the potential effect of
AZT (azidothymidine, zidovudine, used for HIV/AIDS) on fetuses exposed to
the drug during development. Although specific for HIV reverse
transcriptase, it does have some non-specific DNA inhibitory effects,
leading, for example to anemia in many cases.

Thanks for any pointers you can give me. I'd appreciate a response by
e-mail, but I'll monitor the newsgroup as well for replies.

Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.
School of Natural Science
Hampshire College
Amherst, MA 01002