Tetanus toxin

Raymond Yeh tjyeh at soda.CSUA.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 28 21:49:02 EST 1994

Hi everyone.  I have a question about the action of Tetaus toxin.  I know
that it cleaves VAMP (aka Synaptobrevin) on the transport vesicle,
therefore preventing it from fusing and exocytosing its contents.  My
question is then, if tetanus toxin blocks exocytosis then why does one get
lockjaw?  It seems like the person should die from lack of motor control
(maybe from not being able to breath).  Does anyone know what's going on?