Bringing frozen cells into US from abroad

anthonyp at scripps.edu anthonyp at scripps.edu
Tue Sep 6 16:17:28 EST 1994

In article <9409061713.AA12722 at vision>, <WayneS at VISION.ERI.HARVARD.EDU>
writes:

> Dear Faculty,
>         An investigator from Israel [...] needs to bring frozen T cell
clones
> with her and needs advice about getting these cells past U.S. customs.
Has
> anyone had experience in this matter?
>
>         Thanks
>
>         Wayne Streilein

I have some experience with this.  Assuming the cells are not expressing
some nasty virus, the major concern the US government has is with the
type of serum you are using and the potential for  Hoof-and-mouth
disease.  It is USDA that you need to appease.  The easiest thing is for
the clones to have been grown only in serum from a US producer, or
produced in the US, more correctly.
I have imported human cells from europe.  Feel free to contact me by
e-mail if you would like more info.

-tony