cGMP

Greg Joss GJOSS at RNA.BIO.MQ.EDU.AU
Mon Sep 5 19:35:34 EST 1994

> Please send me references on cAMP as first messenger. I am not familiar
> with that, and I would appreciate your info on the issue.

Julian Dow gave Alberts 3rd ed. pp 831-2
There is an extensive literature on cAMP signaling in Dictyostelium
starting with:
AU Tomchik KJ; Devreotes PN
PY 1981
JN Science.;212:443-446
TI Adenosine 3',5'-monophosphate waves in dictyostelium discoideum:
a demonstration by isotope dilution- fluorography.

A more recent review will allow you to pick up other references:
TI: Streamer-F Mutants and Chemotaxis of Dictyostelium
AU: Newell-PC; Liu-G
SO: Bioessays. 1992 Jul; 14:473-9
AB: Streamer F mutants have been found to be useful tools for
studying the pathway of signal transduction leading to chemotactic
cell movement. The primary defect in these mutants is in the
structural gene for the cyclic GMP specific phosphodiesterase. This
defect allows a larger and prolonged peak of cyclic GMP to be formed
characteristic aberrant pattern of cyclic GMP accumulation in the
streamer F mutants has been correlated with similar patterns of
changes in the influx of calcium from the medium, myosin II
association with the cytoskeleton, myosin phosphorylation and a
decrease in speed of movement of the amoebae. From these studies a
sequence of events can be deduced that leads from cell surface cyclic
AMP stimulation to cell polarization prior to movement of the
amoebae in response to the chemotactic stimulus.

Greg Joss,
School of Biological Sciences, Phone:(61)(02) 850 8212 Fax: 850 8174
Macquarie University,          Email gjoss at rna.bio.mq.edu.au
North Ryde, (Sydney,) NSW 2109, Australia