Bringing frozen cells into US from abroad

Robert Burns burns at
Wed Sep 7 11:23:43 EST 1994

"Dr. Wayne Streilein, by way of gottlich at 
(Richard Gottlich)" <WayneS at VISION.ERI.HARVARD.EDU> wrote :

>Dear Faculty,
>        An investigator from Israel will be joining my laboratory in
>November, 1994, to study the effect of the ocular microenvironment on 
>cells that are antigen-specific and mediate experimental allergic
>encephalitis and uveitis in rats. She needs to bring frozen T cell 
>with her and needs advice about getting these cells past U.S. 
customs. Has
>anyone had experience in this matter? annd if so, could I have the 
>of your advice?
>        Thanks
>        Wayne Streilein
>Dr. Wayne Streilein
>Schepens Eye Research Institute
>20 Staniford Street
>Boston, MA 02114
>E-mail WayneS at

      your colleague's cell lines will require a Veterinary permit
issued by USDA. I think that the simplest method is for you (as 
recipient) to ask USDA to send you forms VS16-3 and VS 16-7.

The address that they come from is:

Import-Export product staff
room 756 Federal Buildings
6505 Belcrest road
Maryland 20782

Fax 301 436 8226

These forms have to be completed and returned to USDA with a 
cerificate of origin for any Bovine serum used. USDA then will issue
a permit : VS form 16-16a which then travels with the cells and is
surrendered to the US customs.

There is also the question of the airlines carrying dry ice.

It is a real hassle to get hold clearance for dry ice shipments
(at least on BA it is) but they will allow up to 500g to travel 
in the passenger cabin as hand luggage. This is probably the simplest
way to transport them.

I hope that this helps

Robert Burns
Scottish Agricultural Science Agency

burns at

More information about the Cellbiol mailing list