Colchicine solution stability

Richard Weisenberg rcw at ASTRO.OCIS.TEMPLE.EDU
Mon Sep 12 17:03:52 EST 1994

> > Greetings,
> >         Any colchicine aficionados listening? Do you know if aqueous stocks
> > of colchicine get degraded by freezing (to minus 20) and thawing? We just
> > started to use this compound, and we lost activity in each successive
> > experiment. I suspect freeze/thawing of our stock between times, but it
> > would be nice to have some confirmation. I am working on plants, which need
> > high concentrations of colchicine, so the stock in question is 100 mM. By
> > the way, I am aware of the light sensitivity of colchicine.
> >         Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> >         Tobias Baskin

Tobias,  Are you mixing well after you thaw?   When you freeze any solute
will tend to concentrate in the bottom of the bottle (the last place to
freeze presumably).  Colchicine is quite stable and is not likely to be
damaged by freezing.
Richard Weisenberg