Red Alga

charles francis delwiche cdelwich at nickel.ucs.indiana.edu
Mon Sep 12 23:00:10 EST 1994

In <34rask$9a2 at search01.news.aol.com> jfrank777 at aol.com (JFrank777) writes:

>We are looking for a fresh water unicellular or tiny macrocellular red
>alga with a respectable growth rate. Anybody have suggestions? Thanks in
>advance.

I've had _Compsopogon_ in my aquarium before, and it managed a fairly
respectable growth rate.  If you don't mind using fairly cold water
you might want to look into _Batrachospermum_ too.  These are both
filamentous; unicellular isn't so easy to do.  You could try
_Porphyridium_, typically a soil alga, but I think it really likes
rather saline conditions.

Chuck Delwiche

--
Charles F. Delwiche		Tel: (812) 855-2549
Dept. Biology, JH 142