Chutney devitta at
Tue Sep 13 07:14:53 EST 1994

In article <1994Sep13.104929.27021 at>, crb at wrote:

>         Most cell biologists know the problems regarding L-Glutamine,
and its instability
>         particularily at temperatures required for mammalian cell culture.
>         Can anyone advise me of the merits of 'Glutamax'.
>         Is it a realistic alternative, is cell growth or viability
compromised ?
>         I would be grateful of any advice on this subject.
We have never actually encountered any problems with glutamine.
Assuming that it is kept frozen until it is incorporated into medium and
then is kept at +4°C you should have no troubles.  We work here on the bacterium
Chlamydia trachomatis which shows a great change in morphology and growth
pattern with AA limitation and this 'indicator' has never suggested that
we have a medium problem.
One thing that most people do not do which they should is to 'snap freeze'
all amino acids in liquid nitrogen and then transfer tham to -20°C
for long term storage.  This rapid freezing ensures that the amino acid
solution freezes as a homogeneous solution.  Freezing slowly at -20°C
allows partitioning of the water and solution and reduces the shelf life
of the AA.
I hope that this may be of use to you.