Tricine Buffer

Stephen P. Driska PhD driska at astro.ocis.temple.edu
Mon Apr 3 17:05:17 EST 1995

Scott A. Robson (scott at microsup14.ucc.su.oz.au) wrote:
: Anyone heard of tricine buffer (pH 8.4) What is it?

: Any info appreciated
: 				Scott

: --
: Scott A. Robson is
: 			scott at psycho.biz.usyd.edu.au
: 				better known as Krust-E

	Tricine is a buffer that you can buy from Sigma or other such
places.  People use it in SDS slab gels in place of glycine.
Sometimes thes gels are called Schagger gels, I think.  When you use
this technique, you need much less acrylamide for the gel and/or you
can resolve proten bands that are much smaller than what you could see
in the standard (Laemmli) gel system using tris-glycine.  For example,
subunits as small as 4,000 daltons I think.  It also helps if your
subsequent work would be interfered with by glycine, as it would be if
you wanted an amino acid analysis of a band isolated from the gel.

	The way it works has to do with how easily the stacked protein
bands "de-stack" when they enter the separating gel.  Tricine lets
this happen easily, whereas with glycine, you need a very high
acrylamide gel concetntration to get the small proteins to unstack.  A
company called Novex has a very nice description of this method and
its advantages.  Their phone is (800)456-6839 or (619)452-6634.

	Good Luck with it...

			Steve Driska