Trouble with Fisher brand cartridge for Nanopure

Stephen P. Driska PhD driska at astro.ocis.temple.edu
Tue Apr 4 11:28:22 EST 1995

Donald Chun Kit Wong (dcwong at unixg.ubc.ca) wrote:

: My supervisor just got convinced by a Fisher salesman to buy the Fisher
: brand replacement cartridges for out Barnstead Nanopure II deionization
: unit which we use to generate water for cell culture. When we opened the
: sealed packets, the cartridges, especially the one at the end, smelled
: like rotten fish. I guess that's the resin. But, the water that passed
: through also smell the same way. We've passed more than 10 liters of water
: through. The other problem is that the resistivity of the water went up
: very very slowly and never went above 5 ohm even after about 8 hours of
: recirculating the water in the unit (power on with the outlet closed). The
: last thing is that whenever we turn the power off, air comes back out into
: the feedwater from the pump.  This is in spite of the fact that water is
: slowing out of the outlet freely and after a whole day of recirculating
: with periodic water drainage from the outlet. My supervisor doesn't think
: it's those cheap cartridges, but I'm not so sure. Maybe we've been penny
: wise, pound foolish. Does anyone have any comments, suggestion, etc?
: Thanks.
:
: Donald Wong
: Pathology
: U.B.C, Canada.

	I tried to reply yesterday but I don't think it worked (I'm not
very good at this).
	Yes, this sounds bad.  I've never used Fisher cartridges but in my
older Barnstead Nanopure, running off Philadelphia tap water, the fishy
smell means we should have changed the cartridges long ago.  When this
happened, the conductivity (the only thing our system measures) was still
near 18 megohm-cm, but you could smell a faint fishy odor.  Being kind of
slow to figure things out, we realized that no one in the lab could get
decent HPLC runs, no one could make dissociated cells, and the gels weren't
that great, and, come to think of it, the coffee tasted bad too.  Finally
we realized the obvious, and changed the cartridges.  But they shouldn't be
bad right from the start.
	As far as the bubbling goes, the systems are different, but any
time you have a big bubble of air in the pressurized system, it will
compress and expand like this.  Our system has the recirculating (two hose)
Barnstead accessory; when you change the cartridges they give you a "dummy"
capsule to use instead of the submicron filter.  This helps pass the air
bubbles to the nozzle to get rid of them.  Once you've done this you put
the new submicron filter in.  Older models used to have an airvent
discharge button on the housing.
	Good luck with the problem.

				Steve Driska