GST fusion proteins affinity experiments.

Ian A. York york at mbcrr.dfci.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 24 09:59:11 EST 1995

JIn article <rmrrgc.11.000E8039 at leeds.ac.uk> rmrrgc at leeds.ac.uk (R.G.
Chaudhari) writes:
>Does anyone use GST fusion proteins to analyse protein interactions in
>precipitation experiments. I am incubating a GST- viral structural protein
>attached to glutathione S sepharose beads with infected cell lysates, spinning
>down the beads, washing them and resolving interacting proteins by SDS-PAGE.
>Unfortunatly  the same proteins are being resolved when  a GST attached to the
>beads control is used. Does anyone know the problem, can anyone help or better
>still, can anyone send me a protocol that has been proven to work v.well.

There's no simple way to do this, because every protein-protein
interaction has different requirements.  Here are some variables to think
about, if you haven't already done so:

-labelling conditions.  Make sure you get a wide variety of cellular
proteins labeleed.  For example, try a long label (overnight) and then
spike again for an hour to pick up short lived proteins.  Depending on
the virus you're working with, this may not be a factor.

-cell lysis conditions.  This also affects binding conditions.  In
general, you probably want to start with very non-stringent binding
conditions and try to increase the stringency.  If possible, it's
probably worth running several conditions together, to see if one of them
allows you to see specific conditions over your background.

The two things affecting stringency - at least the ones that are easiest
to adjust - are your detergent and your salt concentration.  Some
detergents to try in order of least to most stringent are -
digitonin
octylglucoside
NP-40
deoxycholate
SDS

and you can vary concentrations of these as well.  (There are many other
detergents you can use, these are just some that I've had experience
with.)

As far as salt concentration, try [NaCl] at, say, 0, 75, 150, 250, 500 mM.
150 mM is sort-of physiological.  Some interactions are enhanced at high
salt, but these are unusualy as I understand it.  If you are really
frustrated, consider making up a salt mix that corresponds to the ions in
cytoplasm (can't remember the mix right now, I think I got one from
Methods in Enzymology Protein Purification).

To lyse your cells without detergent, you can use a number of means.
Dounce homogenizer is probably the simplest, especially for small
samples.

Remember to add a good mix of protease inhibitors.

Finally, GST-fusions simply may not work, if the conformation is too far
off because of the fusion.  Similarly, a seemingly specific interaction
may be meaningless.  You should have some backup methods of demonstrating
relevance as well.

Good luck.

Ian
--
Ian York   (york at mbcrr.harvard.edu)
Phone (617)-632-3921     Fax  (617)-632-2627