suicide gene

Jeff Matthews jeffreym at unixg.ubc.ca
Mon Apr 24 21:32:26 EST 1995

jheus%ruly46.leidenuniv.nl (Joris Heus) wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>I would like to know if anyone has information on genes that will kill
>mammalian cells when expressed, i.e. suicide genes. The gene I am
>looking for preferably should have introns, kill the cells fast, and be
>expressed in almost all cell types, but info on less ideal genes is also
>very welcome.

You may want to do some reading on the BAX gene. I think you can
find the info in the following articles:

Cell, 1993 by Oltvai and Korsmeyer

Cell 1995, Someone and JC Reed.

There are also recent additions to the BAX family of genes called BAD
and BAG that you might find in Cell, 1995 and in the Americal J of Pathol, 1995.

Jeff Matthews