Inhibiting Interactions between Integrins and Neo-synthesized Fibronectin

anthonyp at scripps.edu anthonyp at scripps.edu
Tue Apr 25 19:02:57 EST 1995

In article <SERINI.22.0012BDFD at cmu.unige.ch>, <SERINI at cmu.unige.ch>
writes:

> I would like to block interactions between integrins and different
> neo-synthesized fibronectin isoforms by coating specific mAbs on culture
> dishes just before plating my cells.  In such way I do hope to be able
> inhibit interactions between integrins and growth factors neo-induced
> fibronectin isoforms.

There are two protential problems here.
First is that the anti-integrin antibodies when plated on plastic have
many of the same stimulatory effects as the matrix protein that normally
interacts with the integrin.  For example, an anti alpha5 Beta1 antibody
will induce cells to spread and induce phosphorylation of the Focal
Adhesion Kinase.
The second is that plated antibodies may not block all the Fn receptor you
need to block.  Obviously, they only can block those receptors in contact
with the plate.  Since newly-synthesized Fn can be bound to the surface of
the cells by alpha-5 beta-1 and then organized into a matrix on the plate,
I don't think the antibodies will block this.  You could get by this
problem by coating in the presence of soluble antibody, but these still
could cause the problem of stimulating the effect you want to block.

Since you specify "specific" and isoforms, an RGD analog probably would be
too general for you.  Am I correct in assuming the experiment is to see if
specific antibodies to specific isoforms block effects differentially?  If
so, do you know that these isoform-specific antibodies will block receptor
binding?

Feel free to email me if I can be of any help.

tony