SV-40 and immortalized cell lines

Steven Enkemann enkemans at
Thu Aug 17 17:57:19 EST 1995

In article <40vsn1$pvp at>, Gordon Betts <betts at>

> I would like to try to make a cell line that is immortalized with
> SV-40.  What concentrations do I use, any special procedures, etc.
> Thanks,
> Gordon

infection by SV-40 is generally restricted to human and monkey cell
lines.  My suggestion is to transfect the naked DNA.  In this case any of
the standard transfection procedures that work on your cells should work.
You also don't need the entire virus.  Using the entire virus may not be
allowed by local regs.  Check with your institutes guidelines for
recombinant DNA experimentation.

Steven A. Enkemann PhD.

I don't believe that curiosity killed the cat.
I think it just did the wrong experiment.