nuclear stain

John A. Newitt newitt at nih.gov
Wed Aug 30 15:01:59 EST 1995

In article <421s3v$eu4 at oban.cc.ic.ac.uk>, "M.Patel" <M.Patel at ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> I am looking for a simple histological stain to show nuclei of
> fixed cultured cells.  I can think of a fluorescent stain, Hoechst 33258,
> but would prefer to use an ordinary light microscope.

Why not use the classic hematoxylin and eosin stain?  The hematoxylin
stains highly-negatively charged molecules, so you'd get prominent nuclear
staining from hematoxylin binding to the DNA and RNA in the nucleus.

Regards,

John A. Newitt, Ph.D.           |   <newitt at nih.gov>
National Institutes of Health   |   FAX: 301-402-0387
Bethesda, Maryland  USA         |   <this space for rent>