Rick Neubig RNeubig at
Sat Dec 2 13:34:43 EST 1995

Cornelius Krasel wrote:
> Deborah (IZZY32F at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU) wrote:
> > How does forskolin function with respect to adenyl cyclase activity
> > and cAMP production?
> > How does forskolin act like a mimetic?
> AFAIK the mechanism how forskolin activates cyclase is unknown. If
> I remember correctly, the alpha subunit of Gs must be present to
> achieve full forskolin activation (I could be wrong).

Cornelius is essentially correct. Forskolin directly activates
adenylyl cyclase but for some subtypes of AC its action is potentiated
by the additional presence of activated G-alpha-s.

Rick Neubig                             RNeubig at
University of Michigan               Phone (313) 763-3650        FAX   (313) 763-4450