Help: Keeping cells from adhering to glass.

R Keith Duncan duncanrk at red.seas.upenn.edu
Wed Dec 13 12:39:19 EST 1995

I am using harvested chick inner ear hair cells in my experiments.  They
are bathed in L15 medium (Hanks salts with amino acids and vitamins) and
held in a dish with glass coverslip bottom.  Unfortunately for me, the cells
appear to be sticking to the dish.  I need to be able to capture the
cells into a suction pipette, but when suction is applied, the cells
look like they are being torn from the bottom of the dish.  I am not
culturing the cells, so (unlike probably most of you) I do not want the
cells to stick to the dish or initiate outgrowths of (neural) processes.

Any ideas to help keep the cells from adhering to the glass.  I've tried
HCl (makes it worse), silianization, acetone wash, and soaking in sterile
water overnight.

Please email directly since I do not read this newgroup often :)
duncanrk at eniac.seas.upenn.edu

--Keith