dog fibroblasts

Martin Kennedy mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz
Sun Feb 5 06:11:37 EST 1995

In article <3gpaa4$djk at ccshst05.cs.uoguelph.ca>, jvrobert at uoguelph.ca (Jennifer V Robertson) writes:

> I'm looking for any advice on how to culture dog fibroblasts. Please help!!
> Jen :)

Funny that you ask, because for the first time ever someone in our lab just
grew up a bunch of dog fibros from some autopsy material.  The tissues were
first macerated, trypsinized, then cultured in flasks containing RPMI with
10% FBS, and antibiotics (Pen-Strep-Genta) were present, plus fungizone.
They grew like weeds, so provided your material is reasonably fresh, then you
should be ok.  We got skins from deep tissue layers, but if your dog is alive
you might need to ask someone who knows how to get fibnros humanely.  I know
they use ear punches for sheep, and skin punches for humans...

Cheers,

Martin

		Phone (64-3)364-0880   Fax (64-3)364-0750