gel scanning/analysis

Robin Dover R_DOVER at icrf.icnet.uk
Thu Feb 9 07:30:39 EST 1995

In article <1733E99FCS86.ZM00023 at uabdpo.dpo.uab.edu>,
ZM00023 at uabdpo.dpo.uab.edu (jordan shin) wrote:

> I am looking to set up a way to record our westerns and ethidium gels
> using a system based around out macs (AV).  I would preferably like
> to use off the shelf components and in addition to recording them
> for archival/presentation purposes, would also like to get some
> relatively quantitative information from the data.  I have looked
> at some of the commercial units and was boggled by the number of
> bucks they wanted and figured that we could do better.

If you have an AV mac and a video camera you are half way there. Get NIH
image, its a free image analysis package for the mac and (grin) for the
price it is brilliant. It has gel scanning macros built in. I'm not sure
about the quality of the built in digitiser though....

--
Live forever or die trying